Great trick-or-treaters with a kooky undead family that glows in the dark!
|Make a mini mummy family for Halloween!|
2 plastic bottles, 1-liter size
1 plastic bottle, short and fat, 16 oz. (like a powdered coffee creamer)
1 plastic food storage container, 14 oz. (like a Ziploc Smart Seal small bowl)
2 Styrofoam balls, 5" diameter
2 Styrofoam balls, 4" diameter
1 old white sheet or 2 yards of muslin
3 rolls gauze, 4" wide or 2 yards cheesecloth
1 scrap of cardboard, 6" x 6"
Martha Stewart Crafts Acrylic Craft Paint, Glow-In-Dark
1 craft foam sheet, purple
1 craft foam sheet, black
sand, beans, or pebbles (for weight)
2 large paper cups
5 paper plates
white craft glue
Steps For Each Mummy
1. Remove the bottle cap. Add some sand, beans, or pebbles to the bottom of the bottle for weight. Poke the neck of the bottle into the Styrofoam ball. (Use the 5" Styrofoam balls for the large bottles and the 4" ball for the short bottle.) You may need to scrape out some Styrofoam with scissors to make neck of the bottle fit.
2. Tear the sheet into long strips about 1" to 2" wide. Make a watered-down glue mixture in the cup that is half glue and half water. Dip a strip in the glue-water, squeeze off excess, and wrap it onto the bottle and ball. Continue wrapping until the mummy is covered.
3. Cut the gauze into 2"-wide strips. Wrap the mummy completely in gauze.
4. Dilute the Glow-In-Dark paint with water in a cup, mixing half paint and half water. Dab the paint-water onto the mummy with a foam paintbrush. Stand the mummy on a paper plate to dry (as it will drip quite a bit).
5. Cut two 1" circles out of purple craft foam. Cut four straight strips about 1 1/2" long our of black craft foam. Crisscross two strips over each purple circle and glue in place. Glue onto the mummy's face about halfway down the head. Cut a semi-circle smile out of black craft foam and glue below the eyes.
Steps For Cat Mummy
1. Add some sand, beans, or pebbles to the plastic bowl for weight. Turn the bowl (lid on) upside down. Make a slit in the top edge of the bowl with scissors. Poke one end of a craft stick into the 4" ball. Poke the other end of the craft stick into the bowl.
2. Cut two triangle ears out of cardboard. Poke each ear into the top of the Styrofoam ball. Cut a tail shape out of cardboard. Cut a slit in the side of the bowl and slide the tail in.
3. Dip strips of sheet in glue-water, squeeze off the excess, and wrap onto the bowl, head, ears, and tail. Continue wrapping until the cat mummy is covered.
4. Cut gauze into 1" to 2"-wide strips. Wrap the cat mummy completely in gauze.
5. Dab the Glow-In-Dark paint-water onto the cat mummy with a foam paintbrush. Stand the cat mummy on a paper plate to dry.
6. Cut two 1" circles out of purple craft foam. Cut four straight strips about 1 1/2" long. Crisscross two strips over each purple circle and glue in place. Glue on the cat mummy's face about halfway down the head. Cut a small circle nose out of black craft foam and glue under the eyes.